The new Nursery is set in Culford’s 480 acres of beautiful parkland and the children who come to the Nursery will have full use of these lovely grounds.
As the Culford estate dates back to around 1429, it has been occupied for nearly 600 years, meaning it has seen plenty of excitement. Here are 10 facts you probably did not know about Culford…
- Culford Hall and the surrounding 10,000 acre estate was formerly the home of the historic Bacon, Cornwallis and Cadogan families.
- In preparation for the Royal visit of King Edward 7th (1901 to 1910) the 5th Earl Cadogan installed a new bathroom; affectionately known today as the King's Loo.
- Jayne-Anne Gadhia, an Old Culfordian, is now the British CEO of Virgin Money.
- The father of Francis Bacon, a philosopher during the Scientific Revolution, occupied the House in 1591.
- Old Culfordian, John ‘Motty’ Motson, went on to become a nationally loved football commentator, for which he got an OBE.
- The London and North Eastern Railway named a steam engine after Culford Hall.
- Basil Brown, the archaeologist who discovered the Anglo-Saxon burial site Sutton Hoo, worked at the School in the 1940s. He and several of the Culford boys excavated roman relics in and around the area.
- Old Culfordian, Sir David Plastow, was not only Chairman of Rolls-Royce Motors for a number of years but also became the Chairman of the UKs Medical Research Council (MRC) between 1990-1998. The MRC has researched into the development of penicillin and also the discovery of the structure of DNA.
- Culford Hall used to have its own water tower, which has now been ‘Grand Designed’.
- The Earl Cornwallis was a military officer who served in the American War of Independence. He surrendered his army in 1781, which ended major hostilities in North America, thereby losing America for Great Britain.