Culford History

Year Description
 2016 New Artificial Turf Pitch opens in summer 2016 together with two additional seasonally covered tennis courts. Initiated by Bury St Edmunds Hockey Club the new facility will become The Culford Hockey Centre, home of Bury St Edmunds Hockey Club.
 2015 Culford opens £2.2m landmark Library at the academic heart of the school. The building is officially opened by Professor Harry Watson (OC) and his wife, Adrienne. Paddy & Scott's café comes to Culford!
 2014 The first turf is cut for the construction of a new Library. Culford Sixth Form student, Harry Reidy, wins the International Saatchi Art Prize for Schools and Culford hosts its first ever Opera in the Park event with London Festival Opera.
 2013 The Campaign for Culford launches with the aim of raising £1.65million towards a number of projects, including a new Library. The Foundation Art Gallery opens with support from the Old Culfordian Association and the Workman Library is restored as a stunning reception room.
 2012 We celebrate 40 years of girls at the school; the East Anglian School for Girls merged with Culford in 1972 making Culford one of the first UK boarding schools to go co-ed. The official opening of Fitzgerald as a second girls' boarding House marks the occasion.
 2011 The school opens a recording studio and the Hastings and Skinner teaching facility gets a new roof, whilst the restoration of all the balustrading on Culford Hall nears completion.
2010 Culford celebrates 75 Years in the Park; a mulberry tree is planted on the South Front by five returning old boys who were pupils at the school in 1935.
2009 Culford's championship-standard four court Indoor Tennis Centre officially opened by Greg Rusedski in May.
2009 8th Earl Cadogan officially opens the new Music Department on 6 February. David & Judy Beech attend a service of dedication at Culford in July.
2009 With further generosity from David Beech (OC) and his wife, the north-east wing is restored and Culford opens its newly refurbished Music School.
2008 Culford School Nursery opens at the Old Sanatorium on Butcher's Lane, Culford School
2007 An archaeological dig conducted by Suffolk at Culford unearths a child's skull, an adult skull, some pottery and a Roman coin from the time of Marcus Aurelius, 161-180 AD.
2006 The School celebrates its 12th Anniversary in December. Following a remarkable donation by OC Mr David Beech, the new Studio Theatre is officially opened by HRH the Duke of Gloucester on 12 October.
2004 Culford Head, John Richardson, leaves to take up his appointment as Head of Cheltenham College. His successor in September 2004 is Julian Johnson-Munday.
2003 Weston Hall, a new extension to Pre-Prep, is officially opened on 27 June.
2002 As a result of his extraordinary donation, the William Miller (OC) Science Centre is officially opened on 18 May.
2001 New Astroturf Sports Pitch and floodlighting opens.
1998 Pre-Prep Fieldgate extension is opened.
1995 Prep School Jubilee Library and classroom extensions are opened.
1992 John Richardson is appointed Headmaster.
1991  The Sports Centre is opened.
1990 The Pringle Art Centre is opened.
1988 The Bristol Myers Laboratory is opened.
1984 Pre-Prep School is opened at Fieldgate House. The new Medical Centre is opened.
1981 Centenary Hall is opened on 17 July; a former servants' wing is demolished to make way for it.
1974 Girls join boys at Culford, former school premises are sold to Institute of Mechanical Engineers. Sold to Hopkins Homes and demolished in 2005 to make way for the prestigious Providence Place housing development.
1972 Ashby Dining and boarding House complex is built.
1972 Girls from EAS are bussed to Culford for lessons each day and back to Bury at night.
1972 Miss Monica Tuck is appointed joint Head as the girls from the East Anglian School for Girls join Culford.
1971 Derek Robson is appointed Headmaster.
1965 Hasting teaching block is officially opened.
1958 Skinner Memorial Building is officially opened.
1951  Dr. Christopher Storey becomes Headmaster until his retirement in 1971.
1937 Cadogan House is opened for boarders by 7th Earl Cadogan.
1936 The Headmaster's Lodge is completed; its first occupants are Dr John Skinner and family.
1935 Culford School is officially opened on 3 Oct 1935.
1934 With the Methodist Education Board's approval, Dr John Skinner, Head of the East Anglian School for boys in Northgate Avenue, Bury St Edmunds, buys Culford Hall and 480 acres of parkland for £21,500 from the 7th Earl Cadogan's agent.
1934 7th Earl Cadogan puts Culford Estate up for auction at the Angel Hotel, Bury St Edmunds in December 1934; every lot is sold except Culford Hall and 480 acres of adjoining parkland.
1933 6th Earl Cadogan dies on 4 Oct.
1915 5th Earl Cadogan dies on 6 March in London after an operation; his son, Gerald Oakley becomes 6th Earl and inherits Culford.
1907 Countess Cadogan dies; Earl Cadogan builds a new North Aisle at St Mary's church to house his wife's memorial sculpted by countess Feodora Gleichen.
1904 A mulberry tree is planted on the South Front by Alexandra, Queen Consort to Edward VII, on 15 December during her stay at Culford Hall. Prince Louise, Duchess of Argyll plants the copper beech on the South Front.
1903 Electricity is installed at Culford Hall.
1893 Lord Cadogan's great improvement and construction works turn it from a house into a mansion.
1889 The Beauvoir family sold the Culford Estate, its many houses and 11,121 acres to George Henry, 5th Earl Cadogan.
1883 The Rev Edward R Benyon, rector of Culford, Ingham, Culford Heath and Timworth dies.
1860 Rev Benyon's gardener, Mr Peter Grieve, wins prizes and acclaim for his several varieties of Zonal Pelargoniums bred at Culford.
1856 Rev Edward R Benyon restores St Mary's Church and builds the ornate pair of widows' aims houses opposite.
1839 Richard Benyon de Beauvoir installs his nephew, the Rev Edward R Benyon, a Swiss national, as Life tenant of the Culford Estate.
1823 On the death of Charles, 2nd Marquis Cornwallis, at 29 Old Burlington Street, Piccadilly, on 9 August 1823, the Culford Estate is sold to Richard Benyon de Beauvoir of Berkshire for £230,000.
1806 A new semi-circular portico is added to Culford's north front and a new single storey west wing is added.
1805 Charles, 1st Marquis Cornwallis, dies aged 67, of a fever at Ghazipore, Uttar Pradesh. A circular brick memorial marks his burial site near the River Ganges. The 2nd Marquis Cornwallis, also Charles, inherits Culford and takes his seat in the House of Lords.
1803 The Iron Bridge at Culford is constructed from a design patented in 1798 by Samuel Wyatt; the iron parts are cast by the foundry of Hawks, Crawshay & Sons of Gateshead. Tyne & Wear, at a cost of £1456-16s-5d.
1792 Charles, 2nd Earl Cornwallis, is created a Marquis. Culford is revamped and improved, fawn Culford mathematical tiles are fitted to the exterior thus allowing for the insertion of new windows. A glass dome is added to the top of the Well staircase. Renowned landscape designer, Humphry Repton, produces a Red Book of Culford.
1776 Cornwallis serves under Sir Henry Clinton in the American War of Independence; despite victories at Brandywine and Charleston he is defeated at Yorktown on 5 Oct 1781.
1762 Upon the death of the 1st Earl Cornwallis, his son, Charles, inherits Culford, becoming 2nd Earl Cornwallis.
1742 Thomas Wright and his men dig out "a grete pond" at Culford.
1659 Sir Frederick Cornwallis inherits the family estates at Brorne and Culford.
1591 An oak tree, known as the 'King of the Park', is planted to the north of the new house to celebrate the completion of Culford Hall.
1586 The feud is settled with a deed by the Cootes granting the manor to Sir Nicholas Bacon.
1541 Crown refuses refund to either party; a feud lasting 45 years arises between the Cootes and the Bacons.
1541 Christopher Coote, occupier of house at culford, also pays the Crown £480 for the manor of Culford.
1540 Sir Nicholas Bacon pays the Crown £481 for the manor of Culford, previously owned by Bury Abbey.
1429 First recording of a hall house at Culford, built and occupied by Christopher Coote.
1080 Thurketel Dreing bequeaths the manor of Culford to Bury Abbey