Wedding FAQs

What does the hire price include?

The basic hire charge includes the hire of your chosen room(s), tables (round or rectangular), gold banqueting chairs (up to 150), an on-duty Caretaker during your event to provide assistance as necessary and your own dedicated Weddings Coordinator to assist in the planning and running of your wedding.

Do you provide in house catering?

Yes. Our friendly in house catering service will strive to fulfil all of your catering requirements. There is a range of menus and service styles available, which can be found within this information pack. If you wish for something specifically tailored to you, our catering team will be happy to meet with you to discuss your requirements.

Can we make our own catering arrangements?

Yes. You are free to arrange your own catering arrangements using external caterers; however a surcharge of £200 will apply. We are unable to let external caterers’ use any of our on-site kitchen facilities so you will have to arrange this with your chosen provider.

We strongly discourage ‘DIY’ catering.

Do you supply linen / crockery / cutlery / glassware?

If you choose to use our in house caterers, these items are included in the price of the catering. If you decide to use outside caterers, you will need to arrange to hire these items separately or with your chosen caterers. We can provide the hire of various items of table linen, glassware and other items, if booked in advance, for an additional charge.

Do you allow a corkage arrangement?

We have an extensive and competitively priced selection of wines available on our wine list, which can be found within this information pack. If you do wish to bring in your own wine a corkage charge of £7 per bottle applies. All hirer provided wine must be cleared away before our cash bar will open (if you request for it to be opened for your event).

Is there a Cash Bar available or can we provide our own?

We can provide a Cash Bar with a wide range of drinks at competitive prices from either our purpose built bar in Centenary Hall or from our mobile bar in the Stairwell.

You are welcome to arrange your own bar using an external supplier; however this will incur a surcharge of £150.

What time do you have an alcoholic licence until?

Last orders at the bar is called at 11pm with the bar to close promptly at 11.30pm

Is Culford Hall licensed to carry out civil ceremonies?

No. Culford Hall doesn’t hold a civil ceremony licence. The parish church of St Marys is located within the grounds, a short stroll away from Culford Hall. To request your marriage ceremony to take place at the church, please contact the Reverend Sylvia Bareham (Tel: 01284 724899).

Will ours be the only wedding at Culford Hall on the day?

Yes. Yours will be the only wedding on the day to ensure that your day is as special as possible. There may be a residential group using other separate areas of Culford Hall; this will cause no interruption to any part of your wedding and if applicable will be discussed in advance of your wedding.

Do you have a preferred running order for the day?

We work with you when arranging your day to ensure that your wedding runs how you wish it to. You will be invited to a planning meeting six weeks before your wedding to discuss, in detail, your plans for your day.

Do you provide ‘On the Day’ coordination?

Yes. Your dedicated Wedding Coordinator will be with you from the date you book until after your first dance on the day. Your Wedding Coordinator will be with you during your wedding day, making sure your day runs as smoothly as possible for you, making announcements as necessary, ensuring your day runs to your plans for your day and dealing with any issues or questions that may arise at any point

Can you provide a cake stand and knife?

Normally your cake supplier will provide these items. We can provide a knife for you to cut your cake if required.

Do we have to use your recommended suppliers?

You are free to use whichever external suppliers you wish, providing all of their equipment is PAT tested and they provide us with a copy of their own Public Liability Insurance before the event.

We do not have a recommended supplier list, however we can suggest various local companies should you wish. We have no affiliation and pay no commission to any suppliers.

What lighting can Culford Hall provide?

The only lighting that we provide is standard room lighting; it is either bright dining light or very dim house lighting. We highly recommend that you ensure that your entertainment provider brings their own lighting or that you hire additional lighting from an outside supplier.

Can we use candles at Culford Hall?

No. Under no circumstances whatsoever are naked flames allowed in any part of the buildings. A great alternative is to use battery operated LED tea-lights which are widely and cheaply available and look just as good as real candles.

Can we have a firework display?

No. The use of fireworks is strictly prohibited within any part of the school or it grounds.

Can we throw confetti?

The use of confetti is prohibited during any function at the school and no party poppers are to be used.

Is Culford Hall easy to find?

Culford Hall is located in the pretty village of Culford, just outside Bury St Edmunds, and is easily accessible by car.

Are there any dates that the venue is closed for Weddings?

Culford Hall is only available for hire outside of the school term time. These dates are available on request.

How many people can you accommodate?

  Seated at Round Tables Theatre Style Standing
The Old Hall 100 200 200
The Red Room 60 60 80
Centenary Hall 190 460 570
The Billiard Room 60 60 60
Marquee on the South Front Unlimited Unlimited Unlimited

Can you provide any overnight accommodation?

Although we are not able to provide any accommodation on site, there are many hotels in the nearby town of Bury St Edmunds. A list of nearby accommodation suppliers can be provided on request.

How many car parking spaces are available?

There is a large amount of free parking available on site.

Is it ok to leave cars overnight?

By prior arrangement, guests are permitted to leave cars overnight at Culford and return to collect them by 11am the following day.

Can you recommend any local taxi companies?

We suggest using A1 Taxis (01284 766 777) as they are used to our location at Culford Hall. We strongly suggest that all transport arrangements are made in advance of your event as mobile phone signal at Culford is limited.

What times can items be collected after the event?

By prior arrangement, you will be able to pick up decorations and other items that are left behind the next working day.

Can we have access to the venue the day before?

Yes, by prior arrangement, as long as there is not an event happening the day before. We try to avoid scheduling events the day before a wedding wherever possible to ensure you have adequate time to set up for your day.

Is there an area that could be used as a crèche if needed?

The visitors’ room can be used as a crèche for smaller children if required. This must be requested at the time of booking.

Is there a quieter area for older guests to get away from the noise of a band/DJ?

The visitors’ room can be used should older guests need to get away from the noise of the disco/band. This must be requested at the time of booking.  

What time will my wedding have to finish?

All events at Culford Hall are to finish by midnight at the latest

If you have any further questions, please contact Frances Lee (Events Coordinator) at or 07801 203652.